In this article, we will show you some steps to fix windows update error 0x80240017. This error may occur due to different reasons but in most cases, this error comes out from the installation issues with Visual C++ packages for Visual Studio. In a similar way, if Windows Update fails to install the latest version, you may also get the error above.
This error could also be caused by system files that are broken. Well, that’s not everything. Some users are getting this error because their printer drivers don’t work right. Today, we’ll show you how to fix these problems, which will also fix the Update Error 0x80240017 on your Windows 8 or Windows 10 PC. Follow along to find out how to do everything.
How to Fix Windows Update Error 0x80240017
This is not a one-time mistake. A lot of people on the Microsoft Forum have also talked about how worried they are about this problem. If you are also on the same page, the workarounds listed below should help. Remember that there isn’t a single way to fix this. You will have to try each solution one at a time until you find one that works.
Fix 1: Using Windows Troubleshooter
Finding the cause of this problem by hand could be hard, but you don’t have to do much. Windows has a feature called Troubleshooter that automatically looks for problems and fixes them once it finds them. Also, one part of the Troubleshooter is all about Windows updates, and we will be using that part. Here are the steps to follow:
- Use the Windows+R keys as a shortcut to open the Run box.
- Type the next command and press Enter. This takes you to the menu for fixing problems.
control.exe /name Microsoft.Troubleshooting
- Inside of that, go to the section for Windows Update and click on Run the troubleshooter.
- Windows will now look for the problems and list the solutions as well.
- Click on Apply this fix and wait for the process to complete.
- Once that is done, restart your PC and see if it is able to fix the Windows Update Error 0x80240017 on your PC.
Fix 2: Reset Windows Update Components
In the background, different parts of Windows Update work. They are in charge of finding the most recent updates and letting users install them. But if there is a problem with any of these parts, it is likely that Windows Update will also be affected. In this case, resetting all the Windows Update Components is the safest thing to do. Here are the things that need to be done:
- Search for CMD from the Start menu and launch it as an Administrator.
- Now type in the following commands in the CMD window. Type in the first command, hit Enter, execute the second command, and so on:
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver pause
Once you’ve done all of the above, restart your computer. Then check to see if you can fix your PC’s Windows Update Error 0x80240017. Here are some other things to try if you are still getting this error.
Fix 3: System File Checker
The System File Checker, also called the SFC Tool, comes from Microsoft. The goal of this tool is to look for problems and errors in the system files and fix them as needed. So, if a file underneath is found to be broken, the tool will replace it with the correct one that was backed up. So, here are the steps for how to use this tool:
- Go to the “Start” menu and look for “CMD” (make sure to launch it as an admin).
- Now, in the CMD window, type the following command and hit Enter.
- The whole verification process could take a while, so it’s best not to do anything else on your computer during that time.
- You might or might not get the report once the process is done. In some cases, Windows fixes corrupt files in the background, but the CMD window doesn’t show that the files are fixed.
So, when the scanning is done, you should turn your PC back on. Check to see if the process fixed the Windows Update Error 0x80240017 after you reboot.
Fix 4: Using the DISM Tool
System File Checker and the Deployment Image Servicing and Management Tool both do the same kind of thing. It also checks for and fixes any broken Windows system files. But that’s the only thing they have in common.
The SFC Tool does the repair work by using one of the files from your local backup. DISM, on the other hand, does the work online. If it finds a broken system file, it will download a new version of that file that works and replace the broken one. So, here are some ways you could use this tool:
- This is also a command-line tool, like SFC. So, use the Start menu to open the CMD as an administrator.
- Now, type the following command to start the process of scanning.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealthNote
- Once the scanning is complete, it’s time to perform the repair work. Execute the below command for that
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /RestorehealthNote
The work will start. Now, it will start fixing all the problems it found in STEP 2.
Once done, reboot your PC. Now see if you were able to fix the Windows Update Error 0x80240017 or not.
Fix 5: Update Printer Drivers
Even though it sounds a little strange, the problem has also been linked to an old or out-of-date printer driver in some cases. If so, you should update the drivers right away to the most recent version. Here are the steps you need to take:
- To bring up a menu, press the Windows+X keys together. Click on Device Manager.
- Go to the Printers section inside of that.
- Right-click on your Printer and select Update Drivers.
- Then select Search automatically for the latest updated drivers (see ‘NOTE’ below).
- Windows will look online for the latest printer drivers and then install them.
- Once that is done, restart your PC. Your issue should now have been resolved.
If windows cannot find any driver, you have to use third-party software like IOBIT Driver Booster. Which will automatically install the latest and stable drivers, so you don’t have to do it manually.
The guide on how to fix the Update Error 0x80240017 on Windows is now complete. We’ve shown you five different ways to do the same thing.